The reasons we selected this project:
• Wastage highlighted via emails
• Aseptic overproduction
• Unlicensed medicine
• To have ownership of ordering of stock.
• Central holding area
• Impact on dispensary staff
• Improve the ordering of process e-non stock
• Improve stock control
• Reduce unnecessary involvement
• Create SOP
How we achieved our objectives
• Questionnaire was sent to wards to capture data.
• Root cause analysis
• Process map trial in Moorhouse
• Audit taken on to the wards
• Communication between wards staff and team
At present the ordering of Flucoxacillin is not controlled and over ordering of the drug is costing the trust time and money. The excess waste of drug which is not used will not be used and is a hugh waste to the trust.
*Quality*- over the period of 3 weeks of daily visits to the wards 30% of bags were wasted.
Cost – £8,054.32 wasted on man hours due to overproduction of stock.
Delivery – the process of making the flucoxacillin from start to finish took approx. 4 hours to make 40 bags. Over the year it is 850 working hours.
Following the trail at Moorhouse, the questionnaire and audit that took place we believe there is a significant saving to the trust.
By implementing the improvements we believe we can reduce the cost and wastage of the overproduction of Flucoxacillin by approx. 50%.