PHARMACABS Case Study

PHARMACABS Case Study

The reasons we selected this project:
• To reduce the unnecessary cost of taxis to the NHS Trust.
• To introduce and standardise a clear, effective system.
• We found there were too are many users of the taxis.
• We found drug stock levels to be incorrect.
• Inefficiencies discovered with departments sending multiple taxis to one area, but different wards.

Our objectives were to:
• Implement a new SOP and visual management system.
• Collaborate shuttle times using one driver, one passenger system.
• Have a central collection point at Chapel Allerton.
• Introduce additional pick-ups to accommodate Aseptic.

How we achieved our objectives
The team measured times, departments, number of taxis and compared the data over a period of February and March 2016 -1017

Case Study:
The current situation is that the pharmacy is spending £103,000 annually on taxis. This is due to a multitude of issues within the department. The team conducted a comparison of taxis booked and costed between this time; the data was found to be as follows:
• Number of taxis booked in 2016 – 595 at a cost of £3906.50
• Number of taxis booked in 2017 – 427 at a cost of £2726.85

Pre Improvement data
QUALITY – 14% of pharmacy shuttles did not arrive over a 2 week period.
COST- £30,000 spent on taxis for goods or staff
Moorhouse HGV: £40,63
QC van £3,662
Pharmacy Shuttle £29,386

DELIVERY – Double bookings- wrong drugs sent in error and re-ordering of taxis.

Following the implementation of our project, and by monitoring the taxis, we believe there has been a 50% improvement in the shuttle service within the Trust.

Post Improvement data
QUALITY – After giving a briefing to staff regarding the taxis, over the next two-week period this reduced to 7%.

As a team we monitored the usage of taxis over the stated period, collaborated with estates, shared weekend and out of hour services and we found that 168 fewer taxis were being booked spending £1180 less which gave us a saving of 30%